ISAK is a place where you can realize your potential to become a change-maker.
When you think of a “leader” or “someone with leadership,” who comes to mind?
The captain who leads your club activity? A politician or the CEO of a big company?
At ISAK, we believe that desired leaders for the next generation should be defined as “change-makers.” Change-makers are aware of the circumstances of themselves and of others, and they take action creatively based on what is most important even when they face a challenge, with an aim to make the world a better place. We want to emphasize that true leadership is not a position or status bestowed upon someone at birth.
Leadership can be nurtured by practice, even if you do not think you are a “leader type.”
No matter what your background or personality, we offer you a human-centered environment where you can find your strength and your own unique leadership style. At ISAK, you will realize your potential to become a change-maker by practicing leadership in and out of the classroom every day.
Awareness is the foundation of leadership
Develop skills to move from awareness to action
When you have identified an opportunity to create change, you may want to design an innovative solution. In our Design Innovation program, you will develop the skills of empathy through observation to discover the true needs of others. You can use these skills to understand individuals as well as to find out what is at the core of today’s global issues. You will gain the creative confidence to address the problems that arise in and outside of your school, your community, and even at the international level. Most importantly, we will teach you how to move from awareness of a problem to an action that allows you to create positive change. You will have opportunities to tackle challenges with your peers on a daily basis on and off campus.
Opportunities to work with real-world entrepreneurs and innovators
One of the many factors that makes ISAK different from other schools is that we provide you with first hand opportunities to learn from transformational leaders / change-makers who contribute to the real world. You will be supported by our world class faculty, more than 100 donors from around the world, and a management staff with a diverse set of business backgrounds and acumen, starting with those of Lin Kobayashi, Executive Director at ISAK. ISAK fully utilizes these networks to create new educational opportunities for you. You will meet and learn firsthand from various role models, in and outside of the school, leading to a life-changing experience unique to ISAK.
- Global Shapers x ISAK session: 42 exceptional young adults from the Global Shapers Community (part of the World Economic Forum) visited ISAK for a panel discussion, presentations, and valuable small group mentoring sessions.
- IDEO x ISAK collaborative workshop: ISAK students worked together with business professionals from multiple industries and proposed real world solutions for the City of Karuizawa in a workshop facilitated by global design firm, IDEO.
- Session with UNHCR: ISAK Summer School Students had an interactive discussion with a Public Information Officer from the UNHCR Representation in Japan, while learning about Human Rights issues and International Relations in class.
- Project Week: ISAK Students developed and proposed new business concepts to tackle global issues to make the world a better place. During this process, students received expert advice from professionals in successful organizations and start-up companies.
- Sessions with leading ventures: Cutting-edge ventures visit to share their stories and latest perspectives to the students of ISAK. For example, an executive from tech venture Spiber visited ISAK in Spring to share the story of how they created the world’s lightest and strongest fiber, using DNA from spider webs.